Posts tagged content writing
Press release for the web is different than that for print medium
Online news has become more popular than traditional newspapers with more and more people subscribing to news alerts for their domain to stay ahead. The major advantage of such a development is that your press release will make it to the interested reader without any filtering and editing. But writing for the web is an entirely different game because of the changing search landscape. You have to optimize your press release with the right keywords for higher ranking.
What’s in it for me?
Before you get into the writing, make sure that people would want to know what you are talking about. Wait for the right time and the right information before launching your release, to generate maximum response. Your information should be newsworthy for the reader.
Follow the structure
Starting with a powerful headline, use power-words to add excitement to your release. The first line of your release should be the most impressive and informative. Starting with the date and location, the first line should give just the right amount of info to trigger the reader to read on.
Follow it up with a brief and powerful description and supporting paragraphs answering what, when, where, why, who and how questions. Give relevant quotes to highlight some of the important elements. The closing paragraph should summarize and restate the entire contents of the release. Give the “about us” section in the end.
Avoid fancy language; be direct for the web reader
A web-reader has a very short attention span. Write short and easy to understand sentences. You can give bullet points or lists in your release and using bold or italicized text if required. Write it for the reader by incorporating pronouns such as “you” and “your” in your press release. If you get stuck, keep a good press release in front of your eyes while framing yours, this will help you stick to the structure and give you more ideas. Do not forget the sources of the facts that you mention.
Provide relevant contact info at the end
Give complete contact details at the end of the release. Include name, email, phone number and mailing address if required. Remember that some of the journalists will take info from your website. Make it easier for them by providing company fact sheet, product/service documents, and high-resolution images of your logo and other pictures in the online press kit.
Submit your press release to major PR websites on the net
After you are done, submit your press release on important PR websites such as PR Web Direct, PR Newswire, etc. Find the websites that suit your domain and submit your releases. This will increase your website visitors as well.
Contextual advertising is a type of online advertising commonly used for content-based websites. With contextual advertising, targeted ads appear based on the page’s actual content.
First, a contextual advertising system scans the text of a webpage for keyword phrases. Then, the system returns specific, targeted ads based on the content people are viewing.
If a person is looking at a page of art supplies, the ads in those pages would be of art suppliers, painting sellers, online art museums, and such.
Contextual ads appear as:
- Separate ads that are placed in specific areas of the page
- Inline or in-text contextual ads
Sponsored links ads
Generally these ads are text ads with links to the related websites. The website owner can choose the location on his website where he would like to place contextual ads. Your ad will come in a box labeled sponsored links. You will need to use the services of pay-per-click search engines to do contextual advertising. This format is popularized by Google Adwords and Adsense.
Inline ads appear in the form of links to the text phrases in the content of the website. When the mouse hovers over that phrase, a short description will come in a box that looks like a tool-tip. If the reader wishes to know more, he can simply click on the link.
Advantages of contextual advertising
- You get to reach only those people who are already looking for that information or related information
- You pay only if anybody clicks on your link
- Such links don’t annoy people
- If the information you provide is good the user gets delighted
Disadvantages of contextual advertising
- It distracts people away from the content they want to read
- If the location of the ad is between the content, then people might get annoyed
- Such ads have become so common that web users have started ignoring them
- Your competitors’ ads might get placed along with your ads
- Serious users who are looking for information generally do not click on ads
There are many forms of online advertising available today such as banner ads, contextual ads, unicast ads, takeover ads, etc. But to get the most out of your online advertising investment, you have to put in a little extra effort. There are several advantages and disadvantages of online advertising. Some are listed below:
Advantages of online advertising
- Much more measurable than any other form of advertising
- Cost effective
- Global reach
- Extensive coverage
- Quicker results
- Easy to execute
- Can provide detailed information to the interested viewer
- Easy to monitor and control
- 24X7 advertising
Problems with online advertising
- Advertisements on the Internet tend to be quite intrusive
- Difficult to decide where to place the ad
- Some forms have got so common that most people ignore the ads
- They take viewers away or distract attention from the website where they wanted to be in the first place
- Ads annoy the viewers and may harm brand image
- Low click-through rates
- No way to determine how may viewers saw the ad when you pay for every 1000 impressions
Here are some tricks to make your online advertising campaigns more effective
- Make them relevant – post your ads on pages with related web content – the more related, the better.
- Be specific – advertise just one particular product/service in your ad, rather than your site generally.
- Place ads based on day of the week and time of the day – ads should be placed based on the amount of traffic on the website in the week or in the day.
- Right linking – your ad should directly link to the relevant product/service you’ve highlighted. You can even create a new landing page to give them the right experience and to know exactly how many people came through the ad.
- Position them right – put your ads at the high-visibility place in the webpage, better as top, rather than farther down.
- Be creative – use animated ads rather than static ones. Your graphic content should pique visitor curiosity, without being too obscure.
- Keep them small – the graphic size should not be too large, as it will take time to load, and by that time your visitor might leave.
What exactly are landing pages? You roll-out email campaigns to your customers/prospects and give a link back to your site in that email. The place where people arrive at your site by following that link is called the landing page.
Landing page is critical for increasing your conversion rates, but ironically most email marketers do not pay much attention to this part and give a general link which drops the readers on the homepage or some other page where they are left grappling for info.
Everybody is not as smart as you are. You are familiar with your website and so you feel that all the visitors would find the right info too without much struggle. But the truth is that most visitors survey your site for 2-5 seconds (yes seconds!) and then exit if nothing catches their interest.
Important elements of a landing page:
- The advantages of taking the action should be mentioned clearly. If possible there should be an immediate fulfillment in the form of free download/information/discount coupon, etc.
- It should not throw a volley of information on the visitor, but should give out details in simple, easy-to-understand manner.
- It should have minimum amount of links, so that the visitor doesn’t get distracted and moves on to other pages of your site and exits.
- The form should ask for only minimum amount of mandatory contact info; rest of the fields could be left optional.
- The design should be attractive and must follow your brand imagery.
Landing page is where you must capture him and make him follow the route you want. If you do it effectively, you will get more conversions.